Saturday, November 28, 2009

Is it fair to say that you can't be 100% certain in anything - religion or science?

You can't be 100% sure in religion because you need faith to believe in God. Faith bridges the 0.000001% gap in the uncertainty.



You can't be 100% sure in science, because all experiments could always be measured to one more decimal place of accuracy.



Is this unfair?



I mean the clergy and even the pope all talk about faith. If the main man admits you need faith, who is anyone else to decree that they know better than the pope, for 100% certain?



Likewise, the proof of quantum theory for example, has been calculated to such an accuracy that it's the equivalent of predicting the width of North America to within a thickness of a human hair. There's still potential for slight inaccuracy there too.



I'm just hoping that if this is a fair comment, people will be able to stop going, "I know for definite that..." etc.



Fundamentalism on either camp just breeds hostility and anger.



Is it fair to say that you can't be 100% certain in anything - religion or science?

well, i am 100% sure that the biblical god does not exist......



Is it fair to say that you can't be 100% certain in anything - religion or science?

It sounds like you can't be sure about your own beliefs.



Is it fair to say that you can't be 100% certain in anything - religion or science?

Why can't you be 100% certain that God exists? I do not think that you understand what the word Faith means.



Is it fair to say that you can't be 100% certain in anything - religion or science?

You are absolutely correct. Funnily enough I agree 100% with what you are saying and I know 100% that christians still will not have it that no-one can be 100% about anything, barring death of course. That is a 100% certainty, nothing else is though. Don't forget, really christians know that is cannot be 100% accurate therefore they overcompensate for the gap in probability by assuring us and themselves that it is all true 100% Sad, deluded people.



Is it fair to say that you can't be 100% certain in anything - religion or science?

I'm 75% sure your statement is fair



Is it fair to say that you can't be 100% certain in anything - religion or science?

There is no such thing as certain.



As you said, religion requires faith, and certainty precludes faith.



a belief in science, likewise, requires faith. not only could you always go on more decimal point, the whole equasion could be wrong.



Is it fair to say that you can't be 100% certain in anything - religion or science?

You can't be certain about anything till you have proof. Well, i believe in you. Why? because you just wrote the above so you must exist. I also believe in Jesus Christ. Why? because of his word and my personal experience's, revelation of him. I have seen him, i have felt him and i know him personally.



If i never experienced God, i wouldn't believe he exists. I would be an atheist. Simple really.



Is it fair to say that you can't be 100% certain in anything - religion or science?

Science may not technically be 100% correct, but to all intents and purposes, it is in certain areas. For example, if I jump in the air, I know I will fall down again, basically guaranteed. Of course, a freak tornado could come over and whisk me away mid jump, but the chances of that are so negligible, we can assume them to be 0. I assume, rightly, that the sun will rise tomorrow morning. It may not, but I would consider it certain enough to stake money on it.



Scientists are willing to admit that they may be wrong about something, or that a currently accepted law may not work in certain circumstances (e.g. general relativity) and the law must be modified to fit the new evidence or a new law created for those circumstances.



Religion, on the other hand, claims certainty in the existance of a deity. No theists, or very few, admit the chance that they may be wrong in the basic details of their belief of God.



"'In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes." -- Benjamin Franklin



Is it fair to say that you can't be 100% certain in anything - religion or science?

I think your points are very reasonable. Our ideas in science change constantly. All you have to do is read a science text book from 50 years ago to see how much things have changed. That doesn't mean I reject science, far from it. It just means that we have to keep open minds. Nobody knows everything.



Is it fair to say that you can't be 100% certain in anything - religion or science?

First, 1 閳?; end of one argument.



Limitations in human understanding are the causes of most errors of the type represented by your question band the cause for the hostility you dislike.



Don't feel bad; Newton and other great mathematicians spent years trying to prove or disprove the existence of God using mathematical reasoning.



Second, you can believe in anything you wish but that doesn't mean you have faith in that thing; they are not synonymous and can actually interfere with each other.



Belief is a conclusion about your world and its reality; belief shapes your perception by filtering information. On the other hand, faith is an intuitive interpretation of feelings about things intangible (ineffable).



Some debates get in trouble arguing about this point; by definition, if something is 'beyond' the physical world you cannot describe it accurately in words. Can you feel love but not prove it? What exactly is Monoply?



Does someone know better than the Pope? Quite possibly, just ask a zen master but be prepared, you might not like the answer.



Third, the most esoteric argument about the recondite universe of existence is roughly as follows:



%26gt; I believe there is a scientific equation that describes the entire universe,



%26gt; the equation is U=0 (or U閳?, depending on your belief about the fullness of glasses), and



%26gt; I know human limitations mean that we may not be able expand or explain all the terms of the equation, but



%26gt; I have faith that water still runs downhill for a reason.



Finally, to keep this in perspective, even people of faith have a sense of humor - you can *not* believe in anything you want but that won't help you when you step in front of the truck you don't believe in.



The minimax regret decision principle suggests that you would do less potential harm in believing than not.



See Zeno's paradox for more information about the real world.



Opinion is not truth.



Good luck (another topic?) and have fun.



Is it fair to say that you can't be 100% certain in anything - religion or science?

First of all I have 100% faith that the Pope is nothing more then a sinful man like the rest of us.



I also have 100% faith that Jesus is who the Bible said he is.



But just to show you that there is a "type" of doubt I will explain it with this verse:



I believe He died for me so I believe I'll live for Him, I may not do it right but I'm gonna try. Where ever He may take me is better than where I've been. I beleive He died for me so I believe I'll live for Him.



Is it fair to say that you can't be 100% certain in anything - religion or science?

NO, it is a generalization. Religion is man-made. I am 100% positively sure that God exists and that the Bible is true. There is proof laid out in the Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
adware remover